Monsoons has arrived, after the months of scorching and grueling heat. With bringing down the temperature, monsoon invites a lot of health issues like viral fever, dengue, skin
infections, allergies, leptospirosis, jaundice, pneumonia and conjunctivitis. As the rainy
season affects our immune system, it's important to consider what we EAT and DRINK to
Let's discuss some smart tips to enjoy blossoms of this season:
1. GO LOCAL and Seasonal : The good addition to your diet in this rainy season to
improve your immune system are : Apple, pear, pomegranate, plum, jamun and
papaya are few. Avoid consuming watermelon, muskmelon,tadgola,jackfruit, all high
water content fruits should be avoided as smell attracts flies and causes water
2. Choose CURD over MILK: Instead of consuming plain milk prefer to have curd or
homemade yoghurt to avoid any intestinal diseases. Avoid fruit juices and pre -
cooked/ leftover meals.
3. Avoid Spicy and Raw food : If someone is prone to seasonal allergies, avoid spicy
food. Avoid having raw vegetable salads and fruits which contains worms, larvae and
dirt. Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly in running water.
● Avoid eating leftover food.
● Prefer to have home cooked food.
● Avoid raw salad and ensure to steam it before consuming during the rainy season.
● Best to avoid salty and heavy foods as it causes gastric problems and water
● Avoid drinking tap water directly. Prefer to have boiled water.
4. BITTER is BETTER: Adding some bitter vegetables in your diet can to build up the
immune system. Consume bitter vegetables like snake gourd, bitter gourd, yam ,
apple gourd, pointed gourd. Stay away from green leafy vegetables, cauliflower,
ladyfinger, sprouted grains, potato. Soak green leafy vegetables in salt water for 10
min to remove insects.
5. SIP Herbal warm Drinks: The immunity is compromised during rainy season, as the
germs and bacteria are very active.
● Include immunity boosting foods in the diet like garlic, ginger, turmeric, pepper to
enhance immunity and digestion.
● A simple decoction with tulsi, ginger with a hint of medicinal spices like clove, black
pepper, cinnamon, cardamom help prevent infections and bring down the fever.
6. NO TO STREET FOOD: Stay far away from golgappas, samosa , vadapav, chaats
etc which seems to be very tempting on the road side. Instead of these opt for bhuna
chana, corn, chickpea.
7. Choose correct OIL: Consume more of drying oil like corn or olive oil and avoid
heavy oils like mustard, sesame and peanut oil as they causes infections.
If you are non-vegetarian prefer home cooked and avoid heavy gravies outside.
Instead of heavy gravies start your meal with soup and stews to keep your body
8. MAINTAIN GOOD HYGIENE :Many illnesses can be avoided during this season by
just maintaining good personal hygiene.
● Wash hands, feet and face every time you come home, before handling food, after
using the toilet to minimize the chances of getting infected.
● Bath with iodine solution after coming from office to remove any buildup of sweat and
● Use Anti-fungal talc to prevent moisture in skin folds.
● Clean your chopping board thoroughly before cutting vegetables and fruits.
● Avoid touching your eyes with dirty hands can lead to conjunctivitis, dry eyes or
● Never leave home without the application of strong mosquito repellent.
● Diabetic should take utmost care during this season to prevent fungal infections in
toes and fingers.
● Keep an alcohol based sanitizer handy when you travel.
9. KEEP INDOORS CLEAN:
● Person suffering from diabetes or breathing problems should stay from damp places,
these can cause fungal growth.
● Keep the children away from stagnant water. As children are more prone to skin
rashes and allergies,avoid wearing them tight clothes. Stick to cotton and linen.
● Adding a few drops of citronella/ Eucalyptus oil in water to wipe the floor keep the
insects and mosquitoes away.
All these guidelines will help you to safeguard your health from the monsoon diseases and
enjoy this season to the fullest.
Rest, enjoy the monsoon! And stay healthy!!
Dr. Vijeta Goyal
Nutritionist & Diabetic Counselor
Reach out to us through - E-mail: email@example.com Call: +91 11 41734447
Check out our Best Seller!
This healthy gluten free protein rich millet flour is beneficial for children and young to support their healthy growth. Having higher protein approximately 50% more than the regular flours it takes care of your increased requirements for a more active lifestyle.